If you have not had a lot of camping experience, it can be tough to learn what to take camping. Most newbies end up packing a lot of things, but then they arrive at the campsite without some essential item like an extra pair of shoes or bug spray.
It can really help to create a checklist to help you keep organized and efficient. In fact, you can even find some printable camping checklists online or simply use the points in this article.
When you try to figure out the supplies, it also helps to organize your camping supplies into groups of things. For example, it is easy to think about all of your cooking supplies at once. Likewise, you might spend time organizing your clothes or first-aid kit. Of course, the type of camping that you plan to do might affect your choices.
Consider your shelter and your sleeping arrangements. At the least, you will need these:
- Sleeping Bag
You might also be more comfortable if you bring along an inflatable air mattress and pump. If the nights get cold, bring along an extra blanket too.
Cooking Supplies, Eating, and Drinking
What supplies to take camping depends upon what you plan to eat, but you will probably want to cook some meals at your campsite.
- Camp stove and fuel
- Pots and pans: This should include a frying pan, pot, and maybe a coffee pot.
- Plates, cups, and flatware : Decide if you want to bring along disposable paper or plastic items or durable camp plates.
- Dish washing supplies: Bring a small basin, dish washing soap, and a towel. If you will not have clean water at the campsite, remember to bring some extra gallon bottles.
- Paper towels: You can use these for clean-up or napkins too.
- Garbage bags: Remember to bring plenty of trash bags to keep your site clean.
Of course, you will need to decide what type of meals you want to prepare. Simple dishes like scrambled eggs for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, and burgers for dinner are good choices. Try to plan out your meals and shop accordingly.
Don’t forget to bring plenty of water and other drinks. Instant coffee and instant cocoa mix are good choices if you want to have hot drinks along.
Utilities and Health
At the minimum, you should include these items:
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Pocket knife
- Small ax if you plan to cut firewood
- A battery-powered radio or music player is nice to have
- A camera is nice. If you plan to use your cell phone, you might want to bring a portable charger or extra battery.
- First Aid kit, sunscreen and bug spray
- Firewood for a campfire
Clothes For Comfort And Protection
Of course, your choice of clothes will depend upon the weather. Most people wear shorts or jeans to camp. To be safe, you should always bring extra shoes, socks, a jacket, and rain gear. A pair of flip-flops or sandals might be handy to have too.
Enjoy your camping trip. The trick figuring out what to bring camping is to pack what you need to be comfortable and prepared, but not to pack so much it becomes a burden.